What is a payment hold for an eBay item?
It’s when PayPal temporarily holds a payment you receive for an item you sold on eBay. The amounts held will appear as Pending in your PayPal account until we release the funds. You still have access to all other funds in your PayPal account.
When will PayPal release the payment hold for an eBay item?
Your funds will be released after 21 days. We may release funds earlier when one of the following occurs:
- The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay
- 3 days pass after we confirm the item was delivered*
If you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the eBay item hold, we may hold the payment until the problem is resolved, even if the claim, chargeback, or reversal occurs after the hold is released.
Why would PayPal hold one of my payments?
To increase marketplace safety, we may hold payments that seem risky. Here are some common reasons for holding payments:
- You have been an eBay member for less than 6 months, and you sell an item for more than $100, or
- You have an eBay feedback score of less than 100, and you sell an item for more than $100, or
- You have a Buyer dissatisfaction percentage** 5% or greater than 5%, or
- You have an average Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) of less than 4.5, or
- You have received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 12 months, or
- You are listing your item in a high-risk category such as gift certificates, video games, cell phones, computers or consumer electronics.
PayPal doesn’t hold payments for eBay items if you meet the following:
- You have been an eBay member for 6-months or more, and
- Your total Feedback score is 100 or greater, and
- Your Buyer dissatisfaction percentage** is less than 5%.
- Your average DSR is 4.5 or greater and
- Your have received 20 or more DSRs in the last 12-months
- Your buyer dissatisfaction percentage is less than 5%
How can I avoid receiving an eBay item hold?
Here are some things you can do:
- Improve your DSR feedback rating
- Follow the PayPal best practices to reduce buyer disputes, claims and chargebacks
- Resolve all disputes, claims, and chargebacks quickly
I’m a new seller. Will payments I receive be held?
If you are a seller with an eBay feedback score lower than 100, but you have a record of good performance, you’ll receive payments instantly in most cases.
* We can confirm delivery if you ship the item with UPS, USPS or FedEx and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page. This applies to transactions within the United States. If a payment is held, it appears as Pending in your PayPal account until it is released.
** Buyer dissatisfaction percentage is measured by adding negative events as a percentage of your transactions. Negative events include negative & neutral Feedback, Detailed Seller Ratings scores of 2 or lower, and disputes for items not received or significantly not as described.